Sunday, September 22, 2013

New diet, and foods I need to limit

Okay, to start this post here are some foods that I really enjoy eating that are so so bad for you. In moderation, some of these are okay...But who wants just one slice of bread?

5 Things that I love to eat


1. Bread- French bread baguette style, rolls, biscuits, texas toast... you get the gist.

2. Cheese- Specifically Cheddar, American, Colby-jack, Parmesan or Mozzarella... The gentle cheeses if you will. To put on salad, potatoes, casseroles, Italian food like spaghetti.

3. Sauces/Add-ons- Barbecue sauce, ranch, salad dressing, mustard, mayonnaise, butter, peanut butter, croutons, bacon bits, see #2 CHEESE 

4. Potatoes- fried, baked, twice baked, fries, potato salad, mashed potatoes, etc....

5. Crunchy things- Chips, crackers, or nuts


I am currently trying to become healthier and lose a significant amount of weight. I have lost 9 lbs so far by counting calories and doing a few workouts here and there. I need to make a work out schedule and stick to it, but the most important part of my new lifestyle change so far is in diet. I am counting my calories everyday, and until I started doing so, I was unaware that I was consuming so many excess calories per day. So here are the 5 foods and my examples of healthier options that I should be doing, but I still am struggling with.

1.Instead of bread, have extra veggies. This is very, very hard for me. BREAD!!!! But, I am trying to have less, or pick a lower calorie one. 

2. Cheese in moderation! You are only supposed to have the size of half of a thumb to a whole thumbs worth piece of cheese per day. I have much more than that. Enchiladas anyone?

3. For example, add-ons end up being a lot more calories than you bargain for. I love a nice salad. For example, having a salad is generally health for you, UNTIL you put tons of ranch on the lettuce with bacon, cheese, and croutons. Or putting whipped cream on top of dessert, or butter on bread. Everything has a calorie count to it. I could easily lose a few hundred calories per day just on the add ons. 

4. No matter how much you love potatoes, it would be a better option to choose something else. For example, sweet potatoes have less calories and are better for you. 

5. Crunch things are so good, but I am trying to limit them or pick a crunchy healthier option. For example, baked chips, rice cakes, nuts, or a crunchy fruit like apples.

While the things on this list aren't all bad, there are healthier options that I need to train myself to like and to choose over the things I am used to and I love. This is a battle everyday, and I sometimes go over my calorie allotment for the day. I use the free app MyFitnessPal on my phone. I love it, and it is very convenient. I input personal information like height, weight, activity level, how much weight you want to lose, etc. It takes your information and then does a calculation and tells you how many calories per day you are allowed per day. Mine is 1350 calories per day, unless I work out and then it changes that number. Everyone's will be different. I think this is hard to limit myself to sometimes, but it seems to be working. I have lost 9 lbs in the last month. I hope to increase my work outs and increase the speed of my weight loss. Someday I might share the actual beginning weight and so forth...We'll see.
I encourage everyone who needs to lose some weight to start eating healthier, and counting calories. Be aware of the portions, and know that eating 3 slices of bread with dinner is too many... :/ Also, know it is a slow process. I am here to support y'all. 

-Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment