Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Florida VS. Oregon

When I moved from Oregon to Florida, I already knew I was in for a whole different world. I have come up with a list of differences that are entertaining to me, so I thought I would share.

In Oregon, you recycle everything. In Florida, you sometimes recycle if there is a place for it.

Florida is HUMID, sticky, and hot. It doesn't cool down really until October. There is a gradual change, but there isn't really a change of seasons like in Oregon. Oregon has very distinct season changes from the changing of the leaves in fall to those same leaves falling to the ground in winter to light snow. Then all the trees and plants blossoming with little buds in spring. :) 

Florida is sunny most of the year, with frequent rain and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Oregon is cloudy most of the year, with rain all day for months on end.

Florida beaches are mostly sand, with light blue warmish clear water that is very salty. Oregon beaches have freezing water, some sand and some rocks with larger waves. Both are beautiful.

Oregonians do not pump their own gas! Floridians, like most states, do pump their own gas. Every Floridian that finds out I grew up not pumping my own gas were shocked and didn't believe me at first that in Oregon you aren't allowed to. 

Oregon has no sales tax (they have a higher income tax). Florida has 7% sales tax. It is hard to get used to paying $1.07 instead of the $1.00 it would cost in Oregon.

Toll roads!!!!!! Florida has some. Oregon does not. Basically on some roads you stop at a toll booth and pay the toll, which ranges usually from 50 cents to $1.50.

There are so many cockroaches here. In Oregon, you have roaches if the place is unclean. Florida just has them regardless of how clean a place is. There are also little lizards here everywhere. 

Oregon license plates are on the front and back of the car. Florida just has them on the back, which I think is weird.

No Jamba Juice, Dutch Bros, or Great Harvest in Florida.

Florida roads are a lighter color than Oregon roads because they are made with sand in Florida and gravel in Oregon.

Crazy scary drivers are of course in both states, but Florida wins the psychotic drivers contest. HA. Although driving cross country, I have several stories about drivers trying to kill me, but that is a different post to come.

Florida seems to have a prevalence of unnecessary gold teeth....

Oregonians seem much more accepting of tattoos than Floridians. I get glares or stares a lot more frequently for my tattoos here. 

Florida has DISNEY WORLD. and SeaWorld. and Legoland. and Universal. Oregon has mountains. 

Hope you enjoyed. States sure are different. haha

-Kels




2 comments:

  1. Florida has Disney World! And dolphins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. Although I don't know where the dolphins came from... haha

    ReplyDelete